Temple Normanton, Derbyshire
Temple Normanton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Chesterfield parish, Derbyshire, near the M.R., 2½ miles SE of Chesterfield railway station. There is also a station on the M.S. & L.R., about 1 mile from the village. The post office is under Chesterfield; money order and telegraph office, Heath. Acreage, 520; population, 210. The manor belongs to the Arkwright family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £55. The present church, Early English in style, was built in 1882 on the site of an old chapel. There is an endowed school.
|Poor Law union||Chesterfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Temple Normanton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Normanton, Temple)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Temple Normanton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: