UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tansley, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Tansley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Derbyshire, 1½ mile E of Matlock railway station. There is a post office under Matlock Bath; money order office, Matlock Bath; telegraph office, Matlock Green. Acreage, 1137; population, 767. There is a parish council consisting of six members. There are bleaching works and a woollen mill, and the manufacture of smallware and hosiery is carried on. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1844, and extended in 1865 to include part of Matlock parish. Population, 1253. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Crich. The church was built in 1840, and restored in 1869. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels, and a Liberal club, erected in 1888.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishCrich 
HundredWirksworth 
Poor Law unionBakewell 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tansley from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Tansley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictDerbyshire Dales
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE4
Post TownMatlock