Swarkeston, a village and a parish in Derbyshire, on the river Trent, 1½ mile SW of Chellaston station on the M.R., and 5 miles S by E of Derby. There is a post office under Derby; money order and telegraph office, Chellaston. Acreage 996, of which 28 are water; population, 230. A 29-arched bridge, 3912 feet long, here spans the Trent and Meadows. Considerable remains of Swarkeston Old Hall still exist. The baronet family of Crewe are lords of the manor. The living is in the diocese of Southwell, and was annexed in 1868 to the rectory of Stanton-by-Bridge. The church is chiefly Norman, and was enlarged in 1828, and thoroughly restored in 1876. It consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and an embattled western tower with three bells, and contains monuments to the Harpurs.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Swarkestone St. James|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Swarkeston 1604-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swarkeston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Swarkestone (St. James))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Swarkeston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: