Sutton cum Duckmanton, Derbyshire
Sutton-cum-Duckmanton, a village and a parish in Derbyshire, 4 miles ESE of Chesterfield railway station. There is a post office of the name of Sutton Scarsdale and Duckmanton under Chesterfield; money order and telegraph office, Heath. Acreage, 4369; population, 726. The property belongs to the Arkwright family. Sutton Hall is the seat of 'the Arkwrights, was built by Earl Scarsdale, and is a fine edifice in the Corinthian style. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £310 with residence. The church is in the Early English style, consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and embattled western tower. It was reseated in 1886. There is an endowed school at Duckmanton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chesterfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton cum Duckmanton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sutton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: