Ash Magna, Shropshire
Ash, an ecclesiastical parish in Whitchurch parish, Salop. It includes the townships of Ash-Magna, Ash-Parva, and Old and New Woodhouses. Ash-Magna is 2½ miles SE of Whitchurch, on the road to Market Drayton; Ash-Parva, which has a post office (money order and telegraph office, Whitchurch), is adjacent. Population, 544. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; value, £160. Patron, the Rector of Whitchurch.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|County Court district||Whitchurch|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ash Magna Christ Church|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1837.
Church of England
Christ Church (parish church)
Christ Church, erected in 1836, is a structure of brick with stone dressings, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell: the east window is stained and there is a marble tablet to Samuel Yate Benyon esq. K.C. attorney-general and recorder of Chester, d. 31 March, 1822: the chancel was rebuilt in 1901 and the nave reseated in oak in 1904: a new oak reredos was placed in the church in 1911; the panelling of the same was added in 1912: there are sittings for 220 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ash Magna from the following:
The ecclesiastical parish was formed 15 Oct. 1844 from the parish of Whitchurch.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Ash Magna are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.