Sturston, a township in Ashborne parish, Derbyshire, 1½ mile E of Ashborne station on the North Staffordshire railway. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Ashborne. Acreage, 962; population, 871. Sturston Hall, an ancient Tudor mansion, was long the property of the Knivetons, was sold to the Meynells in 1655, and is now the property of the Smith family, who are lords of the manor, and is used as a farmhouse.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sturston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sturston)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: