Presteigne or Presteign, a market-town in Radnorshire, and a parish partly also in Herefordshire. The town stands on the river Lugg. at the terminus of a short branch from Titley on the Leominster and Knighton branch of the G.W.R., 7 miles ENE of Old Radnor, 7 SSW of Knighton, 9 NW of New Radnor, and 174 from London. It is connected with Herefordshire by a three-arched bridge over the Lugg, is known to the Welsh as Llanandras, is a borough by prescription, and practically the capital of Radnorshire. It is a seat of assizes, quarter and petty sessions, and county courts, and formerly united with New Radnor, Knighton, and other boroughs to send a member to the House of Commons, but in 1885 its representation was merged in that of the county. It is a quaint, pleasant little town, and consists chiefly of one street, with two streets diverging at right angles. It has a station on the G.W.R. and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The shire-hall was erected in 1829. The market-hall was erected in 1865, and comprises assembly and reading rooms on the upper storey. The town contains also two banks and a police station. The Warden, the site of an ancient castle, is to the W of the town, commands very fine views, and is disposed in pleasant walks. The church, a fine Perpendicular edifice, consists of nave, aisles, Lady chapel, and chancel, with embattled tower, and contains some interesting tapestry, a good brass, and several monuments; it was restored in 1890. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels. The grammar school was founded in the time of Elizabeth. A weekly market is held on Wednesday, and fairs are held on second Saturday in Jan., first Friday in Feb. (horses only), first Saturday in Feb. (cattle, etc.), first Saturday in March, first Saturday in April, 9 May, 20 June, third Saturday in July, last Saturday in Aug., third Saturday in Sept. (horses only), Saturday before Hereford October fair, third Saturday in Nov., and second Saturday in Dec. Acreage, 2994; population, 1360. A cemetery, about a mile from the town, was opened in 1869.
The parish contains the town, the township of Discoed, and part of the township of Litton and Cascob in Radnorshire, and the townships of Stapleton, Willey, Combe, Lower Kinsham, and Rodd, Nash, and Little Brampton in Herefordshire. Population, 1983. The manor belongs to the Earl of Oxford. Norton Manor, Blatterbrune, Boultbrook, Greenfields, and Ackhill are chief residences. Offa's Dyke traverses the W, and Wapley Hill camp-formed by the Romans and occupied by Caractacus-is in the SE. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Discoed, in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £590 with residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Registration district||Presteigne||1837 - 1877|
|Registration district||Knighton||1877 - 1933|
|Registration district||Radnorshire East||1933 - 1974|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Radnorshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: