Ramsey Island, Pembrokeshire
Ramsey Island, an island in St David's parish, Pembrokeshire, flanking the N side of the entrance of St Bride's Bay. It is separated from the mainland by Ramsey Sound, about a mile wide, with from 3 to 12 fathoms water, and swept by a strong tide. It measures about 2 miles from N to S, and about half a mile in mean breadth; terminates at each end in rugged and precipitous hills, with culminating altitude of 459 feet; and includes some good land, abounds with sea-birds, and formerly had two pilgrims' chapelsi. Several islets and rocks are adjacent.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ramsey Island are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: