Picton Castle, Pembrokeshire
Picton Castle, a seat in the centre of Pembrokeshire, a little above the confluence of the two Cleddaus, 6½ miles WSW of Narberth. It is partly ancient; belonged in the time of William Rufus to William de Picton; passed to the Wogan and Doune families, and in the reign of Richard to Sir Thomas Phillips, whose descendants still have possession of it. It was besieged in the Civil Wars, having been garrisoned by Sir Richard Phillips for the king.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Picton Castle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: