Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire
Pembroke Dock, a seaport town and an ecclesiastical parish in Pembroke St Mary parish, Pembrokeshire. The town stands on a branch of Milford Haven, at the W terminus of the Pembroke and Tenby railway, opposite New Milford, and 2 miles NW of Pembroke; was formerly called Pater; became a place of Government dockyards in 1814 in lieu of Milford Haven; includes an area of 80 acres, surrounded by a high wall, with two flanking martello towers, with a sea frontage of nearly half a mile, and with twelve-building slips for ships of all sizes, under iron-roofed sheds; has also a dry dock for first-rate ships, a fort mounting 24 guns, large barracks defended by bastions and a fosse½ and a hut encampment and a jetty at Hobbs Point. It forms a ward of the municipal borough of Pembroke, and has a head post office, a station on the Pembroke and Tenby railway, two banks, a market-house, a mechanics' institute, a police station, and a temperance hall. It is the seat of county courts, and publishes a weekly newspaper. Markets are held on Fridays. Steamers ply from Hobbs Point to New Milford. There is a Government submarine depot at Pennar. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1848. Population, 10,481. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St David's; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church of St John was built in 1848. St Patrick's Church at Pennar was commenced in 1894. on a site given by the War Office. There is a church in the dockyard. There are Roman. Catholic, Calvinistic Methodist, Congregational, Baptist, and Wesleyan chapels. There is a general cemetery, with two-mortuary chapels, and a military cemetery near the hut encampment.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Pembrokeshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers online: