Stapenhill, a township and a parish in Derbyshire. The township lies on the river Trent, 1 mile SE of Burton-upon-Trent, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under Burton-upon-Trent. Acreage, 811; population of the civil parish, 4638, of the ecclesiastical, 5174. The parish includes the townships of Cauldwell and Stanton-with-Newhall. British, Roman, and Saxon remains were found in 1881. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £350. Patron, the Marquis of Anglesey. The church was rebuilt in 1881, is in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and contains a monument of 1497. There are Free and Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stapenhill St. Peter|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stapenhill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stapenhill (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: