Stanton by Dale, Derbyshire
Stanton-by-Dale, a parish in Derbyshire, 1½ mile W of Stanton Gate railway station, and 7¼ miles W by S of Nottingham. It has a post and money order office under Nottingham; telegraph office, Sandiacre. Acreage, 1462, of which 25 are water; population, 649. There is a parish council of six members and a chairman. The manor belongs to the Earl of Stanhope. There are extensive ironworks. The living is a rectory, with Dale Abbey annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £181 with residence. Patron, Earl Stanhope. The church is ancient, consists of nave, N aisle, S porch, and chancel, with a tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1872. It contains several ancient monuments, and a carved octagonal font. There are a Wesleyan chapel and almshonses for eight poor persons.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanton-by-Dale St. Michael|
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Stanton-by-Dale 1605-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanton by Dale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stanton-By-Dale (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Stanton by Dale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: