UK Genealogy Archives logo

Stanton and Newhall, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Stanton and Newhall form a township in Stapenhill parish, Derbyshire, 2 to 4 miles SE of Burton-upon-Trent town and railway stations. Stanton has a post office under Burton-upon-Trent; money order office, Newhall; telegraph office, Stapenhul. There is a post and money order office at Newhall; telegraph office, Swadlincote. Acreage, 1788; population, 4635. Stanton House is a chief residence. There are collieries and brickworks and a police station. Stanton is annexed to Stapenhill ecclesiastical parish, but Newhall was, constituted a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1845. There are Wesleyan, Free, and Primitive Methodist chapels. See NEWHALL.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishStapenhill 
HundredRepton and Gresley 
Poor Law unionBurton-upon-Trent 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Stanton and Newhall from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: