Stanton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Youlgreave parish, Derbyshire, 2 miles SW of Rowsley railway station, and 3½ SSE of Bakewell. The village has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Rowsley. The township includes Stanton Leys and two detached parts situated between Birchover and Harthill. Acreage, 1928; population, 826. There is a parish council of six members and a chairman. The manor with Stanton Hall belongs to the Thornhill family. Stanton Hillside, Pilhough, and Congreave are also places in the township. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1876. Population, 893. The living is a perpetual curacy, united with Rowton or Birchover, in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £270 with residence. The church was built in 1839, is a cruciform building, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, S porch, and a tower with spire. There are Reformed Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels at Stanton, and a small Reformed Wesleyan chapel at Stanton Leys.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bakewell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stanton)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Stanton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: