Stanley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Spondon parish, Derbyshire, 6 miles NE of Derby, and half a mile from West Hallam station on the G.N.R., with a post office under Derby; money order office, Smalley; telegraph office, West Hallam (R.S.) Acreage, 1129; population, 1001. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Coal is worked, and bricks are made. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is a small ancient building, and was restored and partially rebuilt in 1875. It consists of chancel, nave, vestry, and a bell-turret. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a church mission-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanley St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Stanley 1754-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Stanley 1754-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stanley (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Stanley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: