Spondon, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands 3½ miles E by S of Derby, and has a station on the main line of the M.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby. The township comprises part of Borrowash, and has 3235 acres of land and 52 of water; population, 2208. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor with Locko Park belongs to the Drury-Lowe family. The parish contains also Stanley ecclesiastical parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £250 with residence. The church is Early English, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled tower with spire. It was restored in 1892, and a memorial window erected in 1895. The living of Stanley is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, almshouses, colour factories, a cemetery, and charities of nearly £300 per annum.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Spondon St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Spondon 1653-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Spondon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Spondon (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Spondon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: