UK Genealogy Archives logo

Snelston, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Snelston, a parish, with a village, in Derbyshire, on the river Dove, 1¼ mile from Clifton station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 3¼ SW of Ashbourne. It has a post office under Ashbourne; money order and telegraph office, Mayfield. Acreage, 2175; population, 287. The manor, with Snelstone Hall, belongs to the Harrison family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £324 with residence. The church is Later English, and was almost entirely rebuilt in 1825. It consists of chancel, nave, aisle, and embattled tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Ecclesiastical parishSnelston St. Peter 
HundredAppletree 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Snelston from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Snelston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictDerbyshire Dales
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE6
Post TownAshbourne