Smalley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, with a village, in Morley parish, Derbyshire, 1½ mile of Heanor station on the G.N.R., and 2½ miles E of Coxbench railway station, and 6 from Derby. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby. Acreage, 1718; population, 924. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor belongs to the Sitwell family. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1877. Population, 952. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £242 with residence. The church was restored and enlarged in 1863, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and western turret. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school for girls, and a boys' school, founded in 1721, with an endowment producing £200 per annum, and charities of £75 per annum to poor old colliers.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Belper|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Smalley 1624-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Smalley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Smalley)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Smalley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: