Sherwood, a suburb of Nottingham in the ecclesiastical parish of Carrington, 2 miles N of Nottingham. It has a post and money order office under Nottingham; telegraph office, Carrington. There are General Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, twelve almshouses built in 1889, and memorial homes, erected in 1882, for twelve inmates.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sherwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.