Shirley, a township and a parish in Derbyshire, 10 miles NE of Derby, and 4 from Ashborne station on the North Staffordshire railway. There is a post and money order office under Derby; telegraph office, Osmaston. Acreage, 1630; population, 240. There is a library and reading-room. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £221 with residence. The church is in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled tower. The chancel was redecorated in 1886. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shirley St. Michael|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shirley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shirley (St. Michael))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Shirley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: