Shirland, a village, a township, and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands 2 miles SSE of Stretton railway station, and 2 N by W of Alfreton. It has a post and money order office under Alfreton; telegraph office, Higham. The township contains also Hallfield Gate, Stonebroom, and Higham. Acreage, 2956; population, 3694. The parish includes also Higham township. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £196 with residence. Patron, Lord Hothfield. The church was restored in 1848, and a new organ was erected in 1885. It is a building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and a fine embattled western tower, and contains some ancient monuments. There are Free and Primitive Methodist chapels and an endowed school with £25 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shirland St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Chesterfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Shirland 1695-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shirland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shirland (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Shirland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: