Shipley, a township, with a village, in Heanor parish, Derbyshire, adjacent to the Erewash railway, canal, and river, 2 miles NNW of Ilkeston. It has a railway station, of the name of Shipley Gate, and a post office under Derby; money order office, Marlpool; telegraph office, Shipley Gate (R.S.) Acreage, 2050 of land and 61 of water; population, 689. The manor, with Shipley Hall, belongs to the Mundy family. There are collieries.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shipley from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Shipley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: