UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newthorpe, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Newthorpe, a hamlet in Greasley parish, Notts, near the Nottingham Canal, with a station on a branch of the G.N.R., and 7 miles NW of Nottingham. It has a post and money order office under Nottingham; telegraph office, Giltbrook. There are several collieries, and Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and New Connexion Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Civil parishGreasly 
Poor Law unionBasford 
WapentakeBroxtow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newthorpe from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Newthorpe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictBroxtowe
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG16
Post TownNottingham