UK Genealogy Archives logo

Sheldon, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Sheldon, a township in Bakewell parish, Derbyshire, 3 miles W of Bakewell station on the M.R. Post town and telegraph office, Bakewell; money order office, Ashford. Acreage, 1070; population, 120. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The township forms part of the ecclesiastical parish of Ashford-in-the-Water, constituted in 1872. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £110. Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church was rebuilt in 1865, in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, and bell turret. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
Civil parishBakewell 
HundredHigh Peak 
Poor Law unionBakewell 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sheldon from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Sheldon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictDerbyshire Dales
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE45
Post TownBakewell