Shardlow, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands near the river Trent, 2 miles S of Draycott station on the M.R., and 6½ ESE of Derby, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby. The parish contains also the village of Great Wilne, and comprises 1204 acres; population, 842. There is a parish council consisting of six members and a chairman. Cavendish Bridge over the Trent, near the village, was built in 1771 at a cost of £3333. Shardlow Hall is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £370. The church is good, and consists of chancel, nave, and a pinnacled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel; also an extensive brewery and malt-houses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shardlow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shardlow)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Shardlow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: