Scropton, an ecclesiastical parish, comprising the township of Foston and Scropton, in the counties of Derby and Stafford. It lies on the river Dove and on the North Staffordshire railway, 1¾ mile W by N of Tutbury station, and 6½ miles NW of Burton-upon-Trent. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at Foston, under Derby. Population, 528. A parish council for the united township consists of six members. The living is a donative in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £90. The church, rebuilt in 1856, is in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Scropton St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scropton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Scropton (St. Paul))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: