Scarcliffe, a parish, with a village, in Derbyshire, 6 miles NNW of Mansfield railway station. It has a post office under Chesterfield; money order and telegraph office, Bolsover. Acreage, including Palterton and Riley, 3954; population, 1156. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, e£95 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is in the Early English and Norman styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisle, and western tower. It was restored in 1842 and reseated in 1876. Earl Bathurst is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Scarcliffe St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Mansfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scarcliffe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Scarcliffe (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Scarcliffe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: