Carlton or Carlton in the Willows, Nottinghamshire
Carlton or Carlton-in-the-Willows, a hamlet, a township, and a parish in Notts. The township lies on the Nottingham and Lincoln railway, adjacent to the river Trent, 3 miles ENE of Nottingham, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Nottingham. Acreage, 1471; population of the civil parish, 6914; of the ecclesiastical, 3973. Many of the inhabitants are lace and stocking makers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; value, £430 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Carnarvon. The church was erected in 1885. It is a basilica-a grand and handsome structure-built by the late Earl of Carnarvon in memory of Countess Carnarvon. There are General Baptist, Congregational, Wesleyan, and Free Methodist chapels, a Roman Catholic church, opened in 1884, a Workmen's Club, with reading-room, concert hall, &c., a cemetery, formed in 1886, and a library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carlton or Carlton in the Willows from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.