Broughton Sulney or Upper Broughton, Nottinghamshire
Broughton-Sulney or Upper Broughton, a township, a village, and a parish in Nottinghamshire, on the high road between Nottingham and Melton-Mowbray, and on the verge of the county, near the Fosse Way and the Grantham Canal, with a station on the M.R. There is a post office called Upper Broughton, under Melton-Mowbray, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Hickling. Acreage of township 1902; population, 345. Stilton cheese is made in the neighbourhood, and bricks and tiles are manufactured. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £409 with residence. The church was partly rebuilt in 1855. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Melton-Mowbray|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broughton Sulney or Upper Broughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Broughton-Sulney)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.