UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Bassetlaw, a wapentake in the N of Notts. It includes eiglity-six parishes, and is cut into the divisions of Hatfield, North Clay, and South Clay.

Bassetlaw Parliamentary Divison,Nott.'!,a.s formed under the Redistribution of Seats Act of 1885, and returns one member to the House of Commons. Population, 51,572. The division includes the following:—Retford—Askham, Aukley, Babworth, Bamby, Beckingham, Bevercotes, Blyth, Bole, Bothamsall, Boughton, Burton (West), Clarborough, Clayworth, Cottam, Darlton, Drayton (East), Drayton (West), Dunham, Eaton, Egmanton, Elksley, Everton, Finningley, Gamston, Gringley-on-the-Hill, Grove, Hab-blesthorpe, Hayton, Headon-cum-Upton, Houghton, Kirton, Laneham, Laxton, Leverton (North), Leverton (South), Littleborough, Lound, Markham (East), Markham (West), Mattersey, Misson (part of), Misterton, Ompton, Ordsall, Perlethorpe, Ragnall, Rampton, Ranskill, Retford (West), Rufford, Saundby, Scaftworth, Scrooby, Stockwith (West) Stokeham, Sturton, Sutton, Torworth, Treswell, Tuxford, Walesby, Walkeringham, Wheatley (North) ,Wheatley (South), Wiseton; Worksop—Budby, Carburton, Carlton in Lindrick, Cuckney, Edwinstone, Harworth, Hodsock, Holbeck, Lang-with, Norton, Ollerton, Styrrup, Wallingwells, Welbeck, Wellow, Woodhouse Hall, Worksop; Mansfield (part of)— Clipstone, Soulkhoime, Warsop; Southwell (part of)—Bils-thorpe, Eakring; East. Retford, municipal borough.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online: