St John Lee, Northumberland
John Lee, St, a civil and an ecclesiastical parish in Northumberland, on the river Tyne, the Border Counties railway, and the Roman wall, immediately N of Hexham. It adjoins Hexham Bridge, in the neighbourhood of Hexham railway station; and contains West Acomb township, with a village called Acomb, 1½ mile NNW of that bridge, and also the township of Sandhoe, which includes Anick and Anick Grange, and the ecclesiastical parish of Lee St Oswald with Bingfield. There is post office at Acomb under Hexham; money order and telegraph office, Hexham. Population of the civil parish, 2149; of the ecclesiastical parishes-Lee St John, 1339; Lee St Oswald, 810. There are lead and coalmines in West Acomb township. The living is a rectory, annexed to Stagshawe, in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value,, £142 with residence. The church is in West Acomb township; stands on the wooded brow of an extensive tableau overlooking the Tyne valley; has a fine spire, figuring conspicuously in the beautiful landscape around Hexham; is ancient and small, and occupies the site of an oratory of St John of Beverley, which used to be visited annually by the" monks of Hexham in solemn procession. There are Wes-leyan and Primitive Methodist chapels in West Acomb.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for St John Lee from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lee, St. John)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: