St John (Newcastle), Northumberland
John, St (Newcastle), a parish in Northumberland, and one of the wards of the city and county borough of New-castle-upon-Tyne, partly extending westward thence along the river Tyne, the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, and the Roman wall. It contains a suburb of Newcastle, and the townships of Benwell, Elswick, and Westgate. Post town, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Area of part of parish in Newcastle, 87 acres; population, 3623; of the ward, 4186. The population has largely increased in Elswick and West-gate, in consequence of the extension of Lord Armstrong's ordnance and engineering works, the extension of the iron trade, and from facilities in building. Some of the oldest collieries in England are within the parish, and some ancient coal workings, which may have been Roman, were discovered about 1860 at Benwell. The Roman station Condercum was at Benwell; two Roman altars, and other relics, found by recent excavation, are preserved there, and the northern portion of the Roman station is now occupied by the high service reservoir of the Newcastle Water Company. Other objects of interest are noticed in the articles on the particular townships comprised within the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Newcastle. The parish church of St John the Baptist was erected prior to 1120; was found, in the course of some repairs, to have some Norman portions; is chiefly Early English, greatly modified by modern alterations and enlargements; has a chancel rebuilt in 1848, and adorned with stained glass windows; is cruciform and spacious; has a square embattled tower, and contains an ancient font and several ancient monuments. It was thoroughly restored in 1861. Population of the ecclesiastical parish of St John, 8050. The livings of Benwell and Elswick (High and Low) are separate benefices. There are several dissenting chapels and public schools. The ecclesiastical parish of St Matthew was formed from the parish of St John in 1869. Population, 7514. The church was erected in 1878. The living is a vicarage; net value, .6294 with residence. Patron, the Crown and the Bishop alternately.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: