Rosliston or Rostliston, Derbyshire
Rosliston or Rostliston, a parish, with a village, in Derbyshire, 2½ miles WSW of Gresley railway station, and 5 S by W of Burton-on-Trent. It has a post office under Burton-on-Trent; money order office, Coton-in-the Elms; telegraph office, Linton. Acreage, 1220; population, 448. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £156 with residence. The church is good, and has chancel, nave, and western tower with spire. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rosliston St. Mary|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rosliston or Rostliston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rosliston (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Rosliston or Rostliston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: