Risley, a township in Wilne parish, Derbyshire, 1½ mile W by S of Sandiacre railway station, and 4½ miles S of Ilkeston. It has a post and telegraph office under Derby; money order office, Sandiacre. Acreage, 1152; population, 248. The manor belonged to the Mortimers, passed to the Sheffields, the Willoughbys, and the Ffytches, and belongs now to the Stevens family. Risley Hall and Risley Lodge are chief residences. A silver vessel, 20 inches by 15. said to have belonged to a church in France in 405, was found near the hall in 1729. The living is a rectory, with Breaston annexed, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £330 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is ancient but good, and contains some stained windows and a beautifully carved oak screen. There are three endowed schools, founded in 1593 by Sir Michael Willoughby, for the children of seven neighbouring parishes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Morleston and Litchurch|
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Risley 1720-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Risley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Risley)
- Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1899
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Risley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: