Newbiggin (Woodhorn), Northumberland
Newbiggin, a village and a township-chapelry in Woodhorn parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the coast, 1¼ mile N of the mouth of the Wansbeck river, and 8 miles E by N of Morpeth; is a fishing station and a watering-place, is generally called Newbiggin-by-the Sea, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, of that name, under Morpeth and a station on the N.E.R. There are comfortable inns, a public library, an institute, coastguard and lifeboat stations, and a roadstead with tolerably secure anchorage for small vessels. The township has an area of 339 acres; population, 1579. The population has increased in consequence of the extension of fisheries and from improved accommodation for summer visitors. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. A beautiful small bay adjoins the village, and has firm, smooth, safe sands. Several collieries are in the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Woodhorn, in the diocese of Newcastle. The church was rebuilt in 1846 and restored in 1888, has a low spire, stands picturesquely on a point projecting into the sea on the N side of the bay, and serves as a landmark to mariners. There are Presbyterian and Wesleyan chapels. The institute was founded in 1891, and comprises reading, smoking, and billiard rooms.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newbiggin (Woodhorn) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newbiggin)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: