New Heaton, Northumberland
Heaton, New, a hamlet in Cornhill parish, on the N border of Northumberland, near the rivers Tweed and Till, 2 miles from Coldstream station on the N.E.R., and 344 from London. Post town, Comhill; money order and telegraph office, Cold-stream. Heaton Castle, now a ruined square fortalice, belonged in the time of Edward L to William de Eton, passed to the. Greys and to Earl Tankerville, and was besieged in vain in 1513 by the Scots on their way to Flodden.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of New Heaton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: