Repton, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Trent, 1 mile SE of Willington and Repton railway station, and 4½ miles NE of Burton-upon-Trent; was known in the Saxon times as Hreo-pandune, Reppandune, and Repindon; was the seat of the Mercian kings; was afterwards a market-town; and now has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Burton-on-Trent. The parish contains also the chapelry of Bretby and the hamlet of Milton. Acreage, 4042; population of the civil parish, 1783; of the ecclesiastical, 1926. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to Sir Francis Burdett, Bart., and Sir V. H. Crewe,. Bart. An abbey was founded here before 660 by Walphere, king of Mercia; was the burial-place of Ethelbald I. and Withlaf, kings of Mercia; also of Wimond, son of Withlaf, his wife Æfleda, and Wystan their saintly son, to whom the church, is dedicated; was burnt by the Danes in 873; and is believed to be represented by a curious extant crypt beneath the chancel of the parish church. A priory of Ansted canons was founded in 1172 by Matilda, wife of Earl Rannlph; was given at the dissolution to the Thackers; and is represented by part of the buildings of the grammar school. A discovery was made in 1867, within the grammar school's grounds, of a. kiln supposed to have been used by the monks for the manufacture of encaustic tiles. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £144 with residence. The church is chiefly Early Decorated, includes portions of other dates, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled western tower with a fine spire 210 feet high. It was restored in 1886 at a cost of nearly £4000. The donative of Bretby is a separate benefice. There are Congregational and Wes-leyan chapels, an endowed grammar school, and some charities. The school is a large building, had Lightfoot the Hebraist as an usher, and Stebbing Shaw the Staffordshire historian, and; Scott the translator of the "Arabian Nights " as pupils. It was founded, together with Etwall Hospital, in 1556 by Sir John Port, but under a scheme which came into operation in 1875 the management of the school was placed in the hands of a separate governing body. There are eight foundation scholarships-four close nominated by hereditary governors in rotation, and four open, tenable at the school for four years- one local scholarship, four or more exhibitions open to boys under fifteen, and two exhibitions tenable at Oxford and Cambridge.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Repton St. Wyston|
|Hundred||Repton and Gresley|
|Poor Law union||Burton-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Repton 1578-1837, Derbyshire, is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Repton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Repton (St. Wyston))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Online maps of Repton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: