Langley on Tyne, Northumberland
Langley-on-Tyne, a small village in Haydon Bridge parish, Northumberland. It has a station on the N.E.R., and a post office (R.S.O.) under Haydon Bridge; money order and telegraph office, Haydon Bridge. There are coal mines, lime-kilns, and pipe and tile works. Langley Castle is a mined great mansion. The estate connected with it was held by the Tyndales, the Boltebys, the Lurcys, the Percys, and the Radcliffes; was forfeited by the last Earl of Derwent-water; and belonged until 1889 to the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital. The mansion is first mentioned in 1365; is described in a survey of 1416 as then in a state of ruin, and appears to have remained in that state until 1825, when the Controller of the Greenwich Hospital estates caused it to-be partially repaired. In 1889 it was purchased by Mr C. J. Bates, J.P., of Heddon, who has had it thoroughly restored. at considerable cost. It forms an oblong square, 82 feet by 25; has great projecting towers at the corners, 66 feet high; and presents an appearance remarkably little time-worn.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: