Kirby Wiske, Northumberland
Kirby Wiske, a village, a township, and a parish in the N.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wiske, near its influx to the Swale, and near the N.E.R., 2 miles S of Ottrington railway station, and 4½ NW of Thirsk, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Thirsk. Acreage, 1108; population, 211. The parish contains also the townships of Maunby, Newby Wiske, and Newsham-with-Breckenbrough. Acreage, 5998; population, 750. About half of the land is in pasture. Traces of a Roman camp are at Kirby Wiske township. The living is a rectory, with Maunby annexed, in the diocese of Ripon; net value, £530 with residence. Patroness, the Dowager-Duchess of Northumberland. The church is ancient, has a fine Norman door and a tower, and was restored in 1872. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel. Roger Ascham, Dr George Hickes, and Archbishop Palliser were natives.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: