Kielder, a property of the Duke of Northumberland, on the NW border of Northumberland, among the Cheviot moors, with a burn of its own name running to the North Tyne, and a station on the North British railway. It has a post and telegraph office at the station, under Newcastle; money order office, Plashetts; and contains a shooting-lodge of the Duke of Northumberland-a modern edifice in the Gothic style, called Kielder Castle.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Kielder are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: