UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kielder, Northumberland

Historical Description

Kielder, a property of the Duke of Northumberland, on the NW border of Northumberland, among the Cheviot moors, with a burn of its own name running to the North Tyne, and a station on the North British railway. It has a post and telegraph office at the station, under Newcastle; money order office, Plashetts; and contains a shooting-lodge of the Duke of Northumberland-a modern edifice in the Gothic style, called Kielder Castle.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Kielder are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE48
Post TownHexham