Long Horsley, Northumberland
Horsley, Long, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Northumberland. The village stands on a branch of the-river Coquet, 4½ miles W by S of Felton, and 7 NW by N of Morpeth station on the N.E. and North British railways, and has a post and money order office under Morpeth;. telegraph office, Felton. The parish comprises the townships of Witton Shields, Stanton, Longshaws, Bigges Quarter, Riddells Quarter, Freeholders Quarter, Todbum, and Win-gates. Population, 615. The manor belonged to Gospatrick, and passed to the Merlays. An old tower of the Riddells stands at the W end of the village, and is used as the residence of the Roman Catholic priest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £280. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1873, and has. a bell-turret. There is also a Roman Catholic chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: