High and Low Forest, Northumberland
Forest, High and Low, two grieveships, comprising the village of Allenheads, in Allendale parish, Northumberland, near Allendale. There is a post office at Forest Low;. money order office, Allenheads; telegraph office, Allendale. The living of St Peter's, Allendale, is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £295 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Allendale. St Peter's church was restored and the churchyard enlarged in 1894. Population of ecclesiastical parish, 1085. The private chapel at Forest High is a small building in the Early English style. There are also We leyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High and Low Forest from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Forest, High and Low)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: