Hermitage, a seat in St John Lee parish, Northumberland, on the river Tyne, in the NW vicinity of Hexham. It took its name from being the retreat of St John of Beverley before his elevation to the bishopric of Hexham, and occupies the site of an ancient oratory which was plundered in 1138 by the Scots. It has in its garden an old tombstone with a Latin inscription to a proprietor who died in 1655, was itself built in 1724 by the Coatsworths, and is now the residence of the Allgood family.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: