Greenhead, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the Tippale Burn, adjacent to the Carlisle and Newcastle railway, near the Roman wall, 3½ miles W by N of Haltwhistle, and has a station on the railway and a post office under Carlisle; money order and telegraph office, Gilsland. The parish includes the townships of Blenkinsopp and Thirlwall. Population, 1294. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; gross value, £82. The church was built in 1827,-and was restored in 1879.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Haltwhistle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Greenhead from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Greenhead)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: