UK Genealogy Archives logo

Quarndon, Derbyshire

Historical Description

Quarndon, a village and a parish in Derbyshire. The village stands 2 miles SW of Duffield station on the M.R., and 3 NNW of Derby, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Derby. The parish comprises 803 acres; population, 451. The manor belongs to Lord Scarsdale. There are several good residences and some lodging-houses. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £145 with residence. Patron, Lord Scarsdale. The church was built in 1874 in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled western tower. There are an endowed school and a village lending library.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDerbyshire 
HundredMorleston and Litchurch 
Poor Law unionBelper 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Quarndon 1755-1812, Derbyshire is available to browse online.

Ancestry.co.uk, in conjunction with the Derbyshire Record Office, have the Church of England Baptisms (1538-1916), Marriages and Banns (1538-1932), and Burials (1538-1991) online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Quarndon from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.


Maps

Online maps of Quarndon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online:

DistrictAmber Valley
CountyDerbyshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtDE22
Post TownDerby