UK Genealogy Archives logo

Fowberry, Northumberland

Historical Description

Fowberry, a hamlet in Chatton parish, Northumberland, on the river Till, 3 miles NE of Wooler. Fowberry Tower is pleasantly and romantically situated in a park of 150 acres. It belonged in 1273 to William de Folebyr, was attacked in 1524 and 1532 by the Scots, and is now a modernly reconstructed edifice, the seat of the Culley family.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishChatton 
Poor Law unionGlendale 
WardGlendale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Fowberry from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Fowberry are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: