Etal, a village and a chapelry in Ford parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Till, 7 miles from Coldstream station on the N.E.R., and 10½ miles NNW of Wooler. It has a post office under Comhill (R.S.O.); money order office, Milfield; telegraph office, Crookham; presents a pleasant appearance, and attracts strangers by its famous battlefields. At the west end of it are a gatehouse and tower of Etal Castle, built in 1341 by Robert de Manners, and taken in 1513 by the Scots, and near the east end is Etal Manor, formerly the seat of the Carrs of Glendale, but now the property of the Laing family. A Presbyterian church is in the village, and a beautiful chapel, built in 1856 by Lady A. Fitzclarence in memory of her husband and child, is near the Hall. The chapelry is in the gift of the trustees of the founder, and is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £150 with residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Etal from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Etall)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Etal are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: