Denton, West, Northumberland
Denton, West, a township in Sugley parish, Northumberland, on the Roman wall, near the river Tyne, 3½ miles WNW of Newcastle-upon-Tyne station on the North Eastern and North British railways. There is a post office named Denton under Newcastle-on-Tyne; money order and telegraph office, Scotswood. Acreage, 329; population, 460. Denton Hall belonged to the Erringtons and the Rogerses, passed to the Hoyles, and was the residence of Mrs Montagu, visited by Garrick, Sir J. Reynolds, and Dr Johnson.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Denton, West from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Denton, West)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: