UK Genealogy Archives logo

Catton, Northumberland

Historical Description

Catton, a grieveship in Allendale parish, Northumberland, near Catton Road railway station, and 1½ mile NW of Allendale. It has a post office under Allendale (R.S.O.), which is also the money order and telegraph office.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishAllendale 
Poor Law unionHexham 
WardTindale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Catton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Catton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE47
Post TownHexham