Pilsley in Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Pilsley, a village and a township in North Wingfield parish, Derbyshire, 5½ miles SE of Chesterfield, with a station on the M.S. & L.R. and the M.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chesterfield. Acreage of township, 1606; population, 2328. The parish council has six members, and there is one district councillor. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1873. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £117. Patron, the Rector of North Wingfield. The church, erected in 1875, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, S aisle, N porch, and a bell-turret. There are Wesleyan, New Connexion, Free and Primitive Methodist chapels. Part of the village is called Nether or Lower Pilsley.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pilsley in Chesterfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pilsley)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Derbyshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Derbyshire papers online: